News

Courtesy of NCN News, Church of the Nazarene

Global praise reports and prayer requests

Recent praise reports and prayer requests from NCN News, Nazarene Missions International, and JESUS Film Harvest Partners. Included this week:

Nazarenes in the News

Nazarenes in the News is a compilation of online news articles featuring Nazarene churches or church members. In the news this week: Nazarene churches participate in Global Outreach Day ... ENC students hope to help hungry elementary schoolers ... Missouri church member to be honored as Citizen of the Year.

NNU partners with NASA and American Semiconductor in space sensor research

Northwest Nazarene University's RockSat-X engineering team, in collaboration with NASA Jet Propulsion Lab and Boise-based American Semiconductor, Inc., will launch an experimental payload on a sub-orbital sounding rocket to 100 miles above the Atlantic Ocean on a half-hour flight today.

Ebola update: Prayer requested during lockdown in Sierra Leone

Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma called for a three-day lockdown in the country as an effort to curb the spread of the Ebola virus. "Please keep us in your prayers," said Vidal Cole, the Church of the Nazarene district superintendent in Sierra Leone.

Vanuatu churches minister in aftermath of Cyclone Pam

Vanuatu missionaries and members are working to provide for immediate needs, including shelter, food, water, and other supplies, as well as helping to clear debris and start to rebuild homes.

NTS appoints new dean for Advancement

Nazarene Theological Seminary announced Tim McPherson as the new dean for Institutional Advancement.

PLNU celebrates Tuition Freedom Day

Point Loma Nazarene University celebrated the completion of 76 percent of the school year on Wednesday, March 25. More than a benchmark toward summer break, the day recognizes the fact that the remaining 24 percent of the school year is covered by gifts from alumni, churches, foundations, and others.

A-P pastor shares gospel through homeless shelter, tutoring

A pastor on the Asia-Pacific Region moved into a community where many children are unable to get an education. He currently houses several homeless boys who tutor other local children.

Kudjip Nazarene Hospital celebrates opening of second operating theatre

Over the past several months, the sounds of hammers, grinding, pounding, and drilling have been common at Kudjip Nazarene Hospital. Onlookers eagerly awaited the day when the blocks and cement would turn into the newest addition to Kudjip Nazarene Hospital — a second operating theatre.

Spring break means service for many Trevecca students

Spring break is typically a time for students to relax before finishing out the spring semester. Some students spend the week at home with family, some unwind in a warmer location, but some spend the break ministering and serving others in need.

J. D. Powers remembered

Dr. Joseph Dudley Powers, the founding administrator of Kudjip Nazarene Hospital and a former Church of the Nazarene General Board president, passed away March 22. He was 87.

Ghana youth promote gender equality

Churches in Ghana are supporting young women by raising money for their education and taking in girls who have been disowned by their families.

GMC Flags of the Nations: Niger

Each week, the Church of the Nazarene's Global Ministry Center proudly flies a flag of one of the many nations in which the denomination is present in ministry. This week's flag: Niger, Africa Region. Click "read more" for more information about the Church of the Nazarene in Niger, including what year the church entered the country and how many members there are today.

In Memoriam

Notices received March 23-27.

2015 Easter Offering for the World Evangelism Fund

"Through the combined gifts, prayers, and ministry of people around the world, the church is sharing the gospel of Christ in 159 world areas."

NNU announces renewal of contract for President David Alexander

The Northwest Nazarene University Board of Trustees formally offered David Alexander a renewal of his contract as university president for a four-year term.

5 Trevecca students nominated for state journalism awards

Five Trevecca Nazarene University students are finalist in the Tennessee Associated Press College Contest.

Africa hosts first regional conference since 2003

More than 700 Nazarenes gathered last week for Africa's first regional conference in 12 years.

Churches respond to ministry equipment theft in Spain

When missionaries Josh and Shannon Herndon opened the rear of their car in mid-February, their hearts sank: They were the victims of a car break-in.

Costa Rica North District celebrates new churches, growth

The Costa Rica North District celebrated two new churches and increased growth and giving. (Slideshow)

Pages